The St. Catharines / Niagara Falls GO Train service will be running commencing on 24 June 2011. I was at the VIA Station in Niagara Falls this past Saturday, 11 June 2011 at 11 a.m. There was a VIA train in the station.
- The VIA 1 train’s locomotive was diesel powered.
- The Sir Adam Beck Hydro Generating Station is only 6 km from the station.
- The Sir Adam Beck Hydro Generating Station generates one of the most stable and renewable forms of energy in the world – hydro electricity
- The diesel fuel used by the VIA diesels is becoming an ever scarcer and more expensive resource.
- Question: Why aren’t the locomotives in Canada that operate exclusively in Cananada all electrified?
Below is a short video of the train and the Sir Adam Beck Hydro Generating Station. The generating station across the river is the
Prime Minister Harper and Premier McGuinty should force the electrification of the locomotives in the national interest. This make require the confiscation of the CP and CN railroads as well as smaller rail companies but the future demands electrification.